Design and Consultancy
- I am available to work as a consultant on all aspects of planting design and the ongoing management of gardens and public spaces.
- Resilient and long-lived herbaceous plantings designed for reduced maintenance – I am internationally recognised as a leading authority on the development of herbaceous plantings with a wild edge – which because of their composition on the basis of an understanding of plant ecology have a substantially lower maintenance requirement than conventional herbaceous borders – as well as a long season of interest. Such plantings also have considerable wildlife interest and complement rural or heritage surroundings. Following a seven year trial in Herefordshire, this approach to planting has, I believe, a strong evidence base.
- I work with landscape practices on a consultancy basis, advising on plant selection issues. Recent projects have included the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill, Sussex (with HTA Landscapes), and the Memorial Garden at All Saints church, West Dulwich. Projects awaiting completion (with HTA) include work on the Aylesbury Estate and South Quay Plaza, London. I am also working with Cookson and Tickner on a housing project in Berkshire and at Lyveden New Bield (National Trust) in Northamptonshire.
- Development and maintenance programmes. I am available for consultancy, the drawing up schedules for the maintenance and ongoing development of larger gardens and planted areas in public spaces, and staff selection and training. I believe that maintenance should be seen as an on-going creative process, by which gardens develop over time.
- Green roofs and living walls. ‘Green engineering’ offers architects, landscape designers, builders and gardeners exciting possibilities to use plants on roofs and grow large climbers up walls. I am available to advise on the horticultural specification and design of such features. With Prof. Nigel Dunnett of Sheffield University I have written the first book in English on this exciting new field.
The pictures here are of the award-winning promenade along the seafront at Bexhill-on-Sea, Sussex, on England's windswept south coast, a project where I worked as planting design consultant for HTA landscapes. Thanks to Marianne Majerus for images.
Below are images of some of the planting I did for Bristol City Council 2000-2009. Many have survived minimal maintenance surprisingly well.